Dr. Tomasz Biernacki DPM: [Podiatrist, Wound Care & Foot Doctor]
Dr. Tom Biernacki DPM is a podiatrist in Brighton, Howell and Ann Arbor Michigan. He provides foot care, diabetic, wound care, foot & ankle surgery services!
Thank You For Being My Patient:
- I am very humbled that you would let me care for you and fix your foot and ankle problems.
- There is no greater honor than being able to take care of your health.
- Treating your health conditions is a privilege that I remember and am grateful for every single day, it is my pledge that I will treat you no different than I would my mother or father.
- Thank you for considering to be my patient!
Podiatrist and Foot Doctor Services:
What conditions can a podiatrist treat?
- The answer is anything that has to do with the foot and ankle!
Bunion the hammer toes:
- If you are having big toe joint pain or have hammer toe pain, this is something we can help you with!
- If you have thick toenails, ingrown toenails, toenail infections we can help!
- If you have rashes, calluses, cormorants, scaling or peeling on your feet, let us know and we can help!
- If you have diabetes, poor blood flow, peripheral arterial disease and other associated conditions, we can definitely help!
- We are well trained and certified in wound care.
- We are able to help out both in the clinic in the hospital if you have a will problem.
- We can treat foot and ankle and lower leg wounds.
Foot and ankle arthritis:
- Arthritis is the result of inflammation swelling and wear and tear on your joints.
- If you are having joint pain and bone pain we can help!
Heel pain and Plantar Fasciitis Pain:
- If you are worried about heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, shoe problems and pain through your foot and ankle, we can help!
Ball of the Foot Pain and Morton’s Neuroma Pain:
- If you are having pain in the ball of your foot, or the front of your foot, we can help!
Broken bones in the foot and ankle:
- If you have a stress fracture, a broken foot or even a broken ankle, we can help!
- If you are injured and are unable to return to work, we can help you with medical supplies, evaluation and time off work, handicap passes, and other therapies that you may need related to your injury.
- If you are injured on the job, and have continued issues that are preventing for more, let us know and we can help!
- From a very young age, I always knew that I want to be a doctor. Medicine runs in my family, my dad was in the bio-medical field, and my aunts and uncles were also physicians. I remember from a young age being exposed to the hospital environment, and it was instilled in me that helping people would be one of my driving forces throughout life!
- When I was young, my family went through a period of transition, my parents, sibling and I escaped Poland with little to no money as communism swept across the country. We moved to Germany and after staying there for a few years. With some amazing and generous family help, we were able to find work in Canada.
- At around high school age I made my way south down to Tennessee to attend the University of Memphis Tennessee to complete a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry. I moved back to the Michigan area to pursue a biochemistry Master’s degree in the University of Windsor just across the Detroit River from Michigan! At that time, I was exposed to volunteering in the hospital environment, and playing college football.
- At this time, I met my amazing wife Christina who would forever lock me into the Detroit Michigan area. My travels were not over, I decided to pursue a fantastic medical opportunity as podiatrist. I embarked upon a four-year medical degree, which I completed at the Kent State University of podiatric medicine, this was associated with Cleveland University hospitals and the Cleveland clinic hospital.
- I then did a little bit more traveling, completing my surgical residency at St. Joseph Hospital in Ann Arbor and Livonia the next four years. I then completed two rounds of fellowship training at the University of Texas, and a second fellowship stint at St. Joseph presence Hospital in downtown Chicago. Following this 15+ years of training, I have been blessed to traveled to learn from some of the most amazing and well-known foot and ankle surgeons in the world! These courses and training programs have had a major part in shaping our practice and their treatment protocols.
- My wife, Christina and I have two beautiful daughters. They are currently at a very young age, but we do own a house and live in Livingston County. We pride ourselves as being a part of the community, in more ways than just being your foot and ankle specialist! My wife Christina is a hospital-based dietitian, who specializes in diabetes, as well as heart and kidney diseases. We are very close family, we have always made it a point to be together a dinner every night. We have stayed in the Michigan area as our family is currently here, and there is nowhere else we would rather be!
Treatment Goals for You:
- As a podiatric physician, my primary goal is to save you as much money as possible, use as little medication or surgery as possible, and to get you back working and walking as soon as possible!
- The best way to usually do this, is to avoid any procedures or surgery. For the vast majority of the problems we see, there is a nonsurgical solution. By avoiding surgery, we can at least get you somewhat better first!
- This is the true benefit of seeing a podiatrist, we are able to see problems from a non-surgery and non-procedure or medication route first, but if the need is there, are very well trained in foot and ankle procedures. This is the main difference of seeing a podiatrist, we focus on doing as little invasive as possible. We are not dependent on the hospital or the surgery center making money! Our most important consideration is you!
My Pledge To You:
- I take great pride, and I am very humbled that you would let me care for you and fix your foot and ankle problems.
- There is no greater honor than being able to take care of your health.
- Treating your health conditions is a privilege that I remember and am grateful for every single day, it is my pledge that I will treat you no different than I would my mother or father, brother or sister.
- Treating your foot and ankle pain is a privilege, one that I am grateful for every single day. There is nothing else I would rather be doing!
Dr. Tom Biernacki Qualifications:
- Dr. Tom Biernacki appreciates the importance of spending the time to understand the patient’s concerns and desired outcomes.
- He makes this a priority for each patient during their consultation.
- He tries to create an atmosphere where patients feel comfortable expressing their problem, asking questions, discussing the surgical plan and the expected outcome in a very detailed, concerned and compassionate way.
- University of Memphis – Undergraduate Degree.
- University of Windsor – Masters in Science.
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine.
- Podiatric Surgical Residency, St. Mary Mercy Hospital.
- Travelling Fellowship, University of Texas San Antonio.
- Travelling Fellowship, St. Joseph Presence Hospital Chicago.
- Kent State College of Podiatric Medicine- 4.00 GPA, #1/135 rank in class, Valedictorian
- University of Memphis- Biochemistry degree with physics minor 4.00 GPA, #1 rank, Valedictorian
- MCAT- Top 4% Overall, Top 1% Biology, 3% Physics
- St. Clair College & University Of Windsor Courses: Language & Biochemistry- 4.00 GPA.
- APMA School Representative- 4 years.
- Membership: APMA, ACFAS, AAPPM, MPMA, Honors Fraternity.
- Class Government Elected Member- Class Secretary – 4 years.
- Created Boards Study Review course – 4 year tutoring.
- Following his doctoral studies, Dr. Biernacki completed a 3 year podiatric surgical residency at St. Mary & St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Michigan.
- The podiatric surgery program was designed to provide both conservative and surgical training essential to being an excellent podiatrist and foot doctor.
- Dr. Biernacki then completed two travelling fellowships following his residency.
- The first fellowship was at University of Texas with Dr. Thomas Zgonis at the University of Texas and a second at St. Joseph Hospital in Chicago with Dr. Edguardo Rodriguez.
- ABPM Associate Member: 2016- current: American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
- ABFAS Associate Member: 2017-current: American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery: Qualified in Foot and Qualified in Ankle Procedure.
- University of Texas: January-February 2017 with Dr. Thomas Zgonis. Diabetic Reconstruction and Orthoplastic Fellowship.
- St. Joseph Presence Hospital Chicago: February- March 2017 with Dr. Edguardo Rodriguez: Orthoplastic and Microsurgical Fellowship.
- AMOS Fellowship: 2017 to current : American Microsurgical and Orthoplastic Society- Active member in good standing.
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
- American Board of Podiatric Surgery.
- American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
- Fellow of American Microsurgery & Orthoplastics Society.
- American Board of Foot & Ankle Surgeons.
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- Michigan Podiatric Medical Association
- Teaching Staff, St. Mary & St. Joseph Mercy, Podiatric Residency.
- University of Windsor Master in Biochemistry- 2 years purifying, sequencing and analyzing protein- Many presentations & posters.
- Metatarsal Protrusion Index Article- JFAS Journal
- Anesthetic Lidocaine & Bupivicaine Review- The Foot Journal.
- Perirectal Mucinous Adenocarcinoma Review- IM Journal – St. Vincent Hospital, Cleveland.
- C-sign prevalence in Flat Foot – The Foot Journal
- Titanium Allergy – JFAS Journal – Pending.
- Delayed Pediatric Achilles Repair – Orthopedic Traumatology Journal – Pending
- Bone Biopsy Frozen Section Technique – JFAS Journal – Pending.
- Posters – Approximately 2-3 x 7 years, including MPMA, hospital, medical school competitions.
- Valedictorian –Kent State Medical School.
- Valedictorian –University of Memphis.
- Michigan Podiatric Medical Association: Winner – resident presentation for two consecutive years.
- Midwest Podiatry Conference: Top Group of Original Research Presentations.
- Trinity Healthy System: Top 3 Presentation for two consecutive years.
- Academic All-Canadian & OUA conference All-Academic Team: University of Windsor Football.
- Academic player of the year: University of Windsor Football.
- Voted tutor of the year at UofM (out of 35+ tutors) and invited to dinner with UofM school president.
- Current: Practicing Physician at Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists in Michigan.
- Background: Emigrated from Poland to Germany to Canada to USA.
- Languages: English since birth, Polish, non-fluent French, Non-fluent Spanish.
- Family: Very happily married 6 years, No Children.
- Personality: Very outgoing, energetic and always positive.
- Hobbies: Ultimate Frisbee, swimming and wrestling/football coaching.
- A Founding member of Windsor Ultimate Frisbee League: WindsorUltimate.com, grew to over 300 members with 4 fields and our own private park since 2004. Indoor Season & Outdoor year round.
- University of Windsor Football Team – 2 year starter at Safety/Linebacker.
- 3 year captain for Essex Ravens Football club (21 and under)- selected to national team at Super bowl.
- Team Canada u19 Football: Represented Team Ontario & Team Canada.