Low & High Purine Foods for Gout [Best Gout Foot Treatment]
Low and high purine foods are the key to STOP gout! Your diet is the #1 way to control this painful disease, find out what to AVOID!
Table of Contents
Can controlling my diet really stop gout attack?
- The truth is while diet can help restrict your gout, it is not the single best way to get rid of, especially while you are having an attack. If you are having an attack the single best thing you can do is go see your podiatrist for medications.
- Medications like a steroid, or culture seen if taken immediately will dramatically improve your pain. Diet in great overall health control is great at controlling the guilt from happening, but if you are ready having a gout attack, then the diet will help you at this point.
- As a result, dietary management of gout is an amazing tool for preventing gout, especially for people who have numerous gout attacks. Then it is a lot of work to adjust your diet completely, to simply avoid the possibility of a gout attack. Even if you are currently having a gout attack, there better things you can do to make your pain go away.
Purine diet for gout:
- The best options for gout controlling diet, is to monitor your purine intake. Avoiding purines is basically impossible, but it is possible to limit them.
- The question is: is it worth it to cut out purines from your diet if you have only had one or two gout attacks. The answer is probably a strong no.
- This is a lot of lifestyle changes for something that is very rare. But on the other hand if you are having very frequent gout attacks, it is a great idea to really start modifying your diet.
- That being said, the healthier you are overall, the less medical disease you have, and the better cardiovascular activity you get, this is really the key to prevent future health problems.
The best strategy for purine control diet:
- Dr. Tom Biernacki states: “the best thing you can possibly do is to simply eliminate the highest purine foods in your diet. See how your gout attacks decrease or stop following this diet modification, at this point you can see if it is worth continuing or not.”
- So the key is to control your gout by eliminating the highest purine foods.
What Is A Purine?
The purine definition is:
Purines are chemical structures found in food that are known to cause gout. For scientific purposes this is an organic chemistry compound. The definition of a purine is a heterocyclic aromatic organic compound.
But what is important for your diet is that it is found in high concentrations in meat and meat products, especially internal organs such as the liver and kidney. Purines are much lower in any type of plant-based diets. It is especially low in any green vegetables.
High Purine Foods and Purine Rich Foods:
- This includes beer, liquor and wine unfortunately.
- Any alcoholic drink you can think of is not great for your gout!
Most fish seafood, shellfish, anchovies, sardines, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout and haddock.
Most meats are included, especially bacon, turkey, veal, venison and liver.
Best Home Treatment:
- There are some great all natural supplements and treatments listed below.
- Just be aware that these supplements may be well rated, but do lack overall deep scientific evidence.
- Make sure to get your gout properly diagnosed by a podiatrist before administering any treatment at all!
- Gout is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions that we run in to by patients.
Best Gout Supplements:
- Use these at your own risk, but they do have great reviews!
- The studies are not definitive on supplements, but people are very loyal to these.
- Read the reviews on Amazon and give them a try.
- Just make sure to check with your podiatrist before taking any medications!
- Motrin, Ibuprofen or even indomethacin can work great.
- If you know a podiatrist, have them send you an oral steroid if possible.
- Make sure you see your podiatrist first before taking medications!
Elevate your foot:
- The more you can elevate your foot, the less blood flow will rush to the site.
- This should really help reduce the pain.
Massage & Ice Products:
- Icing can be done at home almost immediately.
- Get yourself a cloth and use it around a frozen bag of peas or ice.
- Apply this for your foot 20 minutes at a time.
Menthol Based Gels:
- Biofreeze is one of our favorites.
- These gels have been studied to work 2x as long as ice.
Wait it out:
- Take it easy that day, generally doing these things for 1-2 days will start to feel better.
- Go see you podiatrist as soon as possible for steroids or Indomethacin if possible.
- Make sure it’s not a different problem as well!
And to prevent injury in the future… Get GREAT Shoes!