One Swollen Ankle Left Or Right Leg:
One leg only can be a potentially dangerous situation. It is important to test your calf for pain at this point.
Swollen Ankle Causes:
2)Yet, if you woke up one morning & one calf or ankle began to hurt- consider a deep vein thrombosis!
Deep Vein Thrombosis:
This is the formation of a blood clot in a deep vein of the calf:
- This is very common in people who have not been moving around lately.
- This includes long car rides. Long plane rides.
- Even People sick in bed for numerous days in a row.
- It occurs due to 3 factors: decreased flow speed, increased inflammation & blood vessel aging.
- The most at risk people are the elderly & smokers.
Causes Of A Deep Vein Thrombosis:
This is most common in people who are those who have either decreased blood flow speed, inflammation & aging of the blood vessel.
- Older age is a risk factor.
- Inactivity & bed rest.
- Sitting, travelling or resting for numerous hours or days.
- Wearing a cast.
- Previous thromboembolism or deep vein thrombosis.
- Inflammatory or autoimmune diseases.
- Recent major surgery.
Symptoms Of A Deep Vein Thrombosis:
All of these symptoms normally just occur on one leg, but not the other:
- Ankle & calf pain.
- Swelling, redness & warmth.
- Possible engorged superficial veins: varicose veins.
- Pain upon squeezing the back of the calf.
Confirm Deep Vein Thrombosis:
A quick test that may help aid in diagnosis is the Homan test:
- Have someone squeeze both calf muscles.
- If one is very painful compared to the other, this increases the odds of a deep vein thrombosis.
- It will also be painful if you bend the foot back extending the calf muscle on the effected side.
Is A DVT Dangerous?
There is a significant danger that the thrombosis may embolize (detach & clog somewhere else in the bloodstream).
- The deep veins of your leg & calf lead to your heart.
- They then eventually lead to the lungs before the blood vessels become smaller again.
- If the blood clot makes it this far, it can become stuck in your lungs.
- This severely impairs the blood flow to your lungs and can kill the patient!
- If you suspect deep vein thrombosis, get yourself to the hospital immediately!
Get To A Hospital Immediately!