Ball of the Foot Pain
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Treatment [Taping, Orthotics & Best Shoes!]
What does capsulitis of the second toe look like? We go over capsulitis of the second toe treatment, the BEST Orthotics, and the BEST Shoes!
- Second toe capsulitis treatment can sometimes be done at home.
- We are foot doctors & we see this problem get better almost every day.
- We also go over the best second toe capsulitis taping, orthotics and shoes!
So, let’s GO!
Table of Contents
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Treatment Video:
This video goes over:
- What does capsulitis of the second toe look like?
- Capsulitis of the second toe taping techniques.
- The best capsulitis of the second toe orthotics.
- The best capsulitis of the second toe shoes.
- Capsulitis of the second toe exercises and stretches.
What Does Capsulitis of the Second Toe Look Like:
So what does capsulitis of the second toe look like?
- A sore second toe joint is frequently caused by capsulitis.
- This type of pain is usually sore and throbbing pain rather than a sharp, numb, and tingling type pain.
- It is possible to have capsulitis in the third and fourth toes, but the second is most common.
- Capsulitis is the inflammation of the joint capsule that can lead to severe discomfort, and if severe enough, it can lead to predislocation syndrome.
- Capsulitis of the second toe treatment is very easy to perform at home and is detailed below.
What is capsulitis of the second toe?
What is capsulitis of the second toe?
- The second toe joint connects to the second metatarsal. You can think of this as the big knuckle next to your big toe.
- This feels very prominent and is the most forward portion of the ball of your foot. These ligaments hold the joint together and prevent it from dislocating.
- If these tendons and ligaments that comprise the capsule become irritated, they become inflamed.
- Inflammation of the capsule is called capsulitis. This can also happen to the third, the fourth, or the fifth toe, and the big toe. The second toe is the most common because it is usually the biggest joint.
- In extreme cases, if capsulitis becomes really irritated, the ligaments can weaken and even cause this location of the second toe.
- As the capsule starts to tear and the bones start to dislocate, this is called the pre-dislocation syndrome. This is an overuse injury.
Second Toe Capsulitis Causes:
- This is almost always caused due to overuse and abnormal foot biomechanics.
- If you have a tight Achilles tendon and a tight ankle, and you do many toes walking or running: this can lead to an excessive amount of pressure on the second toe capsule.
- Certain things make it much more likely to have second toe capsulitis. These include increased running activity, increased weight, tight calf muscles.
- Second toe capsulitis is generally associated with bunion deformities. If you have a bunion, you are likely put under less pressure on your big toe joint, and most of the toe goes on to the second toe capsule.
Second Toe Capsulitis Risk Factors:
- It is also much more common to have capsulitis if you have a very long second toe or metatarsal.
- The number one cause is very tight calf muscles.
- Poor foot mechanics or overuse syndrome.
- A long 2nd toe.
- A short 1st toe.
- Overuse of your Feet.
- Flat Feet.
- Long time on your feet.
- Heavy pressure on the front of your feet (high heels).
- Any shoe with a heel.
- Tight footwear – to see if this is you.
- Tight Calf Muscles – Stretching your calves is essential.
Second Toe Capsulitis Symptoms:
- This is usually not an acute injury. The symptoms are usually chronic and happen with extensive overuse.
- We see this most frequently with people who walk on the front of the foot, and in younger people and runners and people who do a lot of jumping.
Specific symptoms include:
- Pain when walking barefoot, especially on the front of your second toe and ball of your foot.
- The swelling in the second metatarsal joint, including at the base of the second toe.
- Pain in the ball of the foot; it can feel like there is marble at the base of your second toe.
- It can feel like the shoe, or the sock is bunched up around your second toe.
- Your toe may even start to click or bend inappropriately.
- Your toe may start to cross over the big toe.
- You can have sharp shooting pain, which can throb in her while you are resting.
Diagnosis of second toe capsulitis and pain:
- There are a few different conditions that can happen in the same spot.
- There are further problems possible in the ball of the foot, including Morton’s neuroma, capsulitis of the other toes, metatarsalgia, and stress fractures of the second metatarsal.
- Good still on the movie. If you do have a bunion, it is much more likely that you would have second toe capsulitis.
- The best way to diagnose for sure is to have your podiatrist look at your foot and take an x-ray of the second metatarsal joint.
- This would confirm the damage.
- It may sometimes be necessary even to get an MRI or an in-office ultrasound.
- We have an office ultrasound at her office, and we can see if the ligaments are torn that are holding together your second metatarsal joint.
What can happen if second toe capsulitis is left untreated?
- In the more advanced stages of the second toe capsulitis, the ligaments can weaken, leading to failure of the toe joint.
- The second toe can drift over the big toe. This can cause a condition called crossover toe.
- Once this crossover toe starts happening, it isn’t easy to get the toe to go back into position without surgery.
- This leads to almost permanent foot deformity if left uncorrected.
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Pictures:
Below we go over some associated conditions and show capsulitis of the second toe pictures.
Understanding the associated conditions may be important for treating capsulitis of the second toe.
Ball of the Foot Pain Pictures & Photo Gallery:
- Metatarsalgia: which means generalized foot pain without a specific cause.
- Second toe capsulitis: this is the inflammation of the second toe joint capsule.
- Capsulitis is related to hammertoe formation, and can lead to a plantar plate tear. There is some overlap between these three disorders. As they get worse tearing and ligament damage can occur.
- Morton’s neuroma: this is the damage and inflammation to the nerves between and underneath the metatarsal joints.
- Fat pad atrophy of the ball of the foot: this is the loss of cushioning in the ball the foot.
- Plantar Plate Tear: A plantar plate tear is ripping of the ligaments holding the toe together.
So, click on the photo gallery to see the specific causes of your ball of the foot pain!
Click on the photo gallery to see the specific causes of your ball of the foot pain!
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Treatment:
Here we review capsulitis of the second toe treatment:
If you are lucky enough to catch second toe capsulitis in the early stages, it is easier to treat capsulitis of the second toe!
There are things you can do to prevent any more invasive treatment.
The goal of home treatment is to stabilize the toe and let your body heal the ligaments before they are truly dislocated or torn.
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Taping:
In the video above, we go over the best capsulitis of the second toe taping techniques we know of!
- It is possible to do a figure 8 around the knuckle of the second toe.
- This tape would have to be reapplied before the use of athletic activity or running.
- This will prevent the toe from bending upward as you push off with the front of your foot.
- This is very effective for sporting events, but it is not very practical to stay on because eventually, the tape will loosen as you sweat.
- It is not a long-term solution.
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Massage:
- Does capsulitis of the second toe massage work well? The answer is that it can work to decrease swelling and pain.
- Firstly massage can decrease inflammatory fluid, but alone it will not fix your capsulitis.
- For example, simply massaging and then re-injuring the site with a full day of walking will not make the condition go away.
- The trick is to massage and then keep the pressure away with a good orthotic and shoe combination.
- In the above video, we review how to perform capsulitis of the second toe massage.
Stretches for Capsulitis of the Second Toe:
- We really love foot exercises, and foot stretches for capsulitis of the second toe, but only after the initial pain goes away.
- Performing capsulitis of the second toe stretching too early can actually make the pain worse.
- For example, if a person has a broken foot, the best thing to do is heal first.
- Only after a month or two of healing is it a good idea to perform stretches and exercises for your capsulitis of the second toe.
Best Shoes for Capsulitis of the Second Toe:
As podiatrists, we spend a lot of time thinking about the best shoes for capsulitis of the second toe!
- Another thing we have seen frequently is people switching from a pair of high heels, a pair of flats, to a pair of flexible and unsupportive shoes.
- The switch is made into a good supportive running shoe.
- A great running shoe combined with a great choice for an affordable over-the-counter orthotic leads to a near-instant offloading of pain.
- This orthotic with an issue takes almost all the pressure off the second metatarsal joint.
- This leads to a near-instant relief of pressure along the joint to heal over the next few weeks or months.
- Click on the above link for the best women’s shoes for capsulitis of the second toe.
- Click on the above link for the best men’s shoes for capsulitis of the second toe.
Best Running Shoes for Capsulitis of the Second Toe:
Here is our guide for favorite running shoes for capsulitis of the second toe:
Best Orthotics for Capsulitis of the Second Toe:
As podiatrists, we also spend time a lot of time researching the BEST orthotics for capsulitis of the second toe pain!
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Home Treatment:
- Ice for 20 minutes at a time.
- We prefer ice for second toe capsulitis rather than heat.
- Ice this as long as possible to get the foot feeling better.
- Take a 1-hour break in between.
- This is our preferred treatment to taking any medication.
Second Toe Capsulitis Stretching:
- We go over specific second toe capsulitis stretches in the video at the start of this post.
- The number one cause of second toe capsulitis and front of the foot pain is a high arched foot in a tight Achilles tendon.
- We have great success in relieving this pain by stretching the Achilles tendon. It is practical that over 3 to 4 weeks, this condition can improve enough to remove the paint from the front of the foot.
- As your foot has more flexibility in bending up, it makes sense that there is less pressure on the front of the foot.
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Exercises:
- If we can make the Achilles tendon stronger and more flexible, we will rely less on putting pressure on the front of the foot.
- Capsulitis of the second toe exercises combined with orthotics for capsulitis of the second toe is one of the strongest home treatment options.
- Orthotics, shoes, and exercises are critical for treating capsulitis of the second toe.
- Watch the video at the beginning of this page for capsulitis of the second toe exercises.
Taping for Capsulitis of the Second Toe:
These are the supplies for taping capsulitis of the second toe:
- The supplies you will need for deepening your second over capsulitis and irritation of the joint capsule:
- Some athletic tape or duct tape.
- KT tape is also a strong option.
- Some alcohol 70%
Taping for the second capsulitis technique:
In the video at the start of this post, we detail how to go about the taping technique for capsulitis of the second toe.
- If you’re familiar with the base ribbon for the military, this is exactly how the second toe capsulitis taping is needed to be done.
- The idea is to keep on the bottom, wrap the folded portion around the top of the second hole as it meets the base. Hold it down and keep it back against the.
- What this does is prevent the second toe from bending upward as you are taking steps and walking.
- It is also possible to use some taping to offload the second metatarsal failing drill joint.
- In our opinion, the best solution is a good pair of shoes and a good pair of orthotics. Taping does not work great because it is a hassle to put on, and with his wet, it comes loose and ¼ way through the day.
- Almost everybody always wants to try the tape, but in our opinion, it is not the most successful treatment.
Capsulitis of the Second Toe Surgery :
Sometimes surgery for capsulitis of the second toe is necessary.
According to the APMA, sometimes foot surgery is necessary. Always check with your local podiatrist if this may be something beneficial for you.
Possible Capsulitis of the Second Toe Surgery Indications:
- Surgery is a great choice if you start to have a severe bunion with dislocation of the second toe. If you have a crossover toe and stern to dislocate, surgery may be the only answer.
- Your podiatrist or foot specialist will likely start by taking a foot x-ray. With an x-ray, we can make sure that the toe is dislocated, and this will be a good indication for the repair of this toe.
- Simple dislocation doesn’t mean that you are a great candidate for surgery. If you have extensive health issues and your mobility needs are not great, then great shoes with splinting may be the best choice for you.
- Surgery is effective as we have excellent success rates in repairing this dislocation. Still, there are always risks with surgery and the healing time is roughly 2 to 3 months before you can start to even think about returning to full activity.
- This is a very satisfying surgery, as you can start walking very quickly, but your foot will be sore for 2 to 3 months.
- We take any surgical procedure very seriously, and you must be a good candidate if you consider the surgical process. This means a good healthy patient, who follows instructions. If you feel that this is you, surgery can be extremely satisfying and repair your dislocated toe.
- On the other hand, most people we see with the dislocated second toe are not athletes or even people without health conditions.
- Most people that dislocate the second toe are older people with numerous health issues, and they are not great surgery candidates.
- If you have diabetes, heart issues, kidney issues, and poor overall health, this probably isn’t a great choice.
Minimally Invasive Second Toe Capsulitis Surgery:
- We are big proponents of minimally invasive foot second toe capsulitis surgery if possible.
- We can perform minimally invasive capsulitis and second toe surgery in very resistant cases.
- The first step would be to see our podiatrists and see if you may be a good candidate.
These are the most frequently asked second toe capsulitis questions:
What does capsulitis of the second toe look like?
- The most common site for capsulitis is underneath the second toe joint.
- This is also known as the second metatarsal phalangeal joint.
- It usually occurs after he has been resting or you’re barefoot.
- Most people feel it when they are barefoot.
- If you are wearing good orthotics and good shoes, you usually feel a little bit less.
- Unfortunately, it is a long day that develops more pain in the ball of the second foot as the day goes on.
- It almost feels like worsening and not improving bruising.
- As this gets worse, and eventually could develop a plantar plate injury.
What is capsulitis of the second toe?
- Capsulitis is inflammation of the second toe joint capsule.
- As this injury gets worse, the inflammation can eventually lead to stretching and ripping of the second toe joint capsule.
- As a result, a structure called the plantar plate, which is part of the capsule, could also be wrapped.
- This turns into something called pre-dislocation syndrome or the second toe becomes loose, and then eventually the second toe can dislocate.
- The final stage of this is a second toe that is crossing over the big toe.
How to heal capsulitis of the second toe?
- It can take weeks to heal capsulitis of the second toe.
- Some people have had this condition for years because they never truly find the underlying causes of second toe capsulitis.
How to treat capsulitis of the second toe?
- Our favorite treatments include second toe capsulitis exercises, second toe capsulitis orthotics, and the best running shoes.
- We recommend watching the second toe capsulitis treatment video at the beginning of the supposed to get a great idea of how to really treat second toe capsulitis.
Capsulitis of the big toe?
In most cases capsulitis of the big toe treatment is very similar to capsulitis treatment of the second toe. Watch the video about to see how to treat capsulitis of your big toe.
Capsulitis of the 2nd toe?
Capsulitis of the second toe is also very common. This can be easily treated with offloading metatarsal padding through the left and the right foot.
Taping 2nd toe capsulitis?
In the video above we go over taping second toe capsulitis.
Taping for capsulitis of the second toe:
Taping can be very effective for capsulitis of the second toe. In the video above we get into the specific details on how to tape second toe capsulitis.
Physical therapy for capsulitis of the second toe?
We believe that physical therapy for capsulitis of the second toe is extremely beneficial. We consider physical therapy for second toe capsulitis to be second toe capsulitis stretches and second toe capsulitis exercises. We go over these in detail and the video above.
Stretches for capsulitis fo the second toe:
We are huge believers in stretches for capsulitis of the second toe. In the video above we you this in detail.
Capsulitis of the big toe treatment:
Capsulitis of the big toe treatment is very commonly seen. Watch the video above to make sure we see how to treat capsulitis of the toe.
Big toe capsule injury:
Big toe capsulitis is very commonly seen. It is possible have a big toe capsule injury. We show how to treat these above. Watch the video to see how to treat capsulitis.
Ball of the Foot Pain