Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Toenail Fungus Treatment [How to Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus!]
We go over the best toenail fungus treatment! Find the 100% best ways how to get rid of toenail fungus & toenail discoloration!
- Yellow & green toenail fungus can be improved with a few simple treatment changes.
- We are foot doctors & we see this problem get better almost every day.
- The goal is to solve this problem without medication or surgery if at all possible.
So, let’s GO!
This gallery shows different types of toenail fungus.
- The most common type is called subungual onychomycosis, this is when the toenail fungus gets underneath the toenail and lifts the nail.
- This can cause damage to the toenail bed, preventing future attachment of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get superficial white onychomycosis, this is the buildup of white superficial fungus on top of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get it throughout the entire nail, or the nail is completely destroyed and did.
- The good news is these are all very treatable!
So click on the photos for gallery mode & description!
Click on pictures for full size & descriptions:
Why does fungus develop?
- Toenail fungus infection occurs when there is growth of toenail fungus.
- Fungus loves to live in warm, moist and dark environments.
- This leads them to grow rapidly.
- Another common reason is loose skin and loose toenails that are not receiving blood flow.
- This allows athletes foot and fungus to grow without the immune system being able to circulate their to stop it.
- Fungus and bacteria are present everywhere in our bodies, but conditions that are suitable for growth are what really cause it to overgrow.
Fungus risk factors:
- Age over 65.
- Poor circulation.
- Diabetes or a compromised immune system.
- Using artificial nails.
- Old gym socks.
- Old running shoes.
- Walking on a public pool deck or using a public shower.
- Having a loose nail or nail injury.
- Having dry skin or skin injury around the nail.
- Always using a closed toed shoes and socks.
What does it look like?
- The nail could be thick or discolored.
- It could be a smelly toenail with odor.
- Almost always it is discolored.
- It can start to left on its furthest edge.
- Look at the pictures above for comparison.
- A foot specialist called a podiatrist can help you diagnose toenail fungus.
- There are oral medications available that can help you treat the more advanced types of toenail fungus.
- It is also possible to perform a culture and biopsy of the toenail if it is not getting better.
- It is possible that there could be more dangerous conditions like a melanoma (cancer) under the toenail, but this is extremely rare and uncommon.
- The most important part of toenail treatment is proper grooming and diagnosis of the toenail.
- The most common reason we see people not getting better is the day are not diagnosing and not treating the problem correctly.
- There are oral medications, but we very rarely have to write these and there can be side effects.
- With proper treatment there are prescription topical medications which can work very well to get rid of the toenail discoloration and damage.
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]