Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Very Long Toe Nails [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenail & Best Treatment!]
Very Long Toe Nails: How Long Do Toenails Take To Grow? Find out how to make them grow MUCH faster! A Toenail can grow fully in 12-18 months!
This gallery shows different types of toenail fungus.
- The most common type is called subungual onychomycosis, this is when the toenail fungus gets underneath the toenail and lifts the nail.
- This can cause damage to the toenail bed, preventing future attachment of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get superficial white onychomycosis, this is the buildup of white superficial fungus on top of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get it throughout the entire nail, or the nail is completely destroyed and did.
- The good news is these are all very treatable!
So click on the photos for gallery mode & description!
Click on pictures for full size & descriptions:
- Fingernails grow on average about 3.5 mm per month toenails girl on average 1.5 mm per month.
- For comparison’s sake, the average grain of rice is 6 mm long.
- With increased blood flow, nails can grow significantly faster.
- With increased grooming clipping in filing, they can grow symmetrically faster.
- If there is toenail fungus or agitation to the nails, they can fall off and it can prevent them from growing.
What causes very long toe nails?
- If you have very long toe nails and it is not fungal nails (onychomycosis) then it is almost always a condition called onychogryphosis or mechanically induced nail trauma.
- The stem cells that grow the nail are permanently damaged and you have a very thick and difficult to trim nail- but it is usually a normal color.
- This is especially common on the first and the fifth toenails.
- Thick, crumbly and tender nails that can result in an ingrown toenails.
- The surface of the nails becomes thick and rough.
- This pressure is transferred into the nail bed and causes pain.
- They can impair walking by injuring the adjacent toenails and but becoming long and curved.
- Most likely your shoes are too small, get bigger ones!
- Check if you are sore at your big toenail and fifth toenail, this means too tight.
- Keep you nails trimmed with a heavy duty nipper.
- Use a moisturizing agent on the nail.
- Most commonly in people who work on their feet all day.
- Most common cause – Small shoes that constantly crush the base of the nails or long distance running or athletics that create chronic rubbing against the shoe.
- Pregnancy(swollen toes) is a very common cause of thick nails!
- Injury, infection, peripheral vascular disease, diabetes or even malnutrition.
- Soak the foot in warm water 3-4x per day for 15-30mins.
- This will make the nail and the skin softer easier trimming of the nails.
- It also makes the nails softer for using an emery board or a pumice stone to make the nails smoother on top.
- A foot soak can be combined with anti-fungal solutions.
Groom the Toenail:
- If the nail is ingrown and causing you any pain: Soak the nail as above and try to lift the nail and put some gauze or a bandaid underneath the sharp and painful corner.
- Be careful attempting to cut out the in-growth yourself, if you cut yourself at all go see a podiatrist immediately, especially if you have diabetes, you have unusually bad foot circulation or any other systemic medical condition.
- When trimming your nails, cut straight across. Do not round the corners.
- Keep the nail thin and make sure the nail curvature remains decreased.
- Avoid heels or tight shoes until the nails become softer and you are able to cut the thickness down.
- It is good to use a Brannock device to measure your shoe in width, length and arch length.
How to make toenails grow faster:
- Proven therapies for making toenails grow faster include:
- Taking biotin as a supplement has been proven in 2007 study.
- Clipping filing and grooming your toenails has been proven as a great treatment to keep your toenails growing faster.
- Taking a daily multivitamin, and get enough sunlight, increasing blood flow through your body will make them grow faster.
- The younger you are, the faster your toenails will grow.
- The more unhealthy you are, such as diabetes or heart problems: Will make your toenails grow slower.
- Essential to go see the podiatrist if this ever comes back or if the nail ever penetrates your skin after trying to take care of it at home.
- Early treatment can be splints, cotton wicks, plastic strips, plastic tubes down the side of the nail, plastic type glue under the corner is possible.
- The physician can attempt a nail avulsion.
- The 1st step is to resect the nail after some numbing medication is used, then correct the underlying problem, whether it be nail dystrophy or nail fungus.
- The 2nd step is to see if it comes back in 1-2 months. An X-ray should be taken to rule out a bone spur under the nail. A nail avulsion may be attempted- this is a permanent resection of that border of the nail ensuring it will never grow back.
- Tetanus prophylaxis may be needed. 1st the podiatrist will numb around the base of the toe, then cut back on the nail and use sodium hydroxide or phenol in the nail bed to keep the nail from growing back If an infection is present- Antibiotics will be necessary, then the toe is covered by ointment and gauze- you will be back on your feet in no time!
- More extensive surgery can be used in very severe cases to remove the entire nail. The nail matrix is then treated with Phenol to prevent re-growth.
Other Related Nail Problems:
See if any of these other problems apply to your situation!
- Toenail Fungus
- Very Long Toenails
- Ingrown Toenail
- Toenail Falling Off
- Black Streaks Under The Nails
- White Patches On Toenails
- Black Spot Under The Toenail
- Red Spot Under The Toenail
- Toenail Coming Off The Nail Bed
- Toenail Psoriasis
For more information on Very Long Toe Nails:
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
- One of the most common biomechanical causes of toenail problems, bunions, hammer toes and outside of the foot problems is poorly fitting shoes.
- A well fitting and proper shoes can sometimes even make all the difference in heel pain and overall foot pain.
- If you have shoes that are too small or too big this can result in crowding or too much motion and sliding within your shoe.
- This can cause people to walk improperly and put more weight on their knees, hips and lower back!
- We usually find that people make some of the 10 mistakes that we talk about.
- Watch the below treatment video to make sure that this never happens again!
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]