Pain On Top Of Foot
Pain On Top Of Foot: The majority of the most common problems can be treated at home. These include nerve irritation & dorsal compression syndrome.
Most Common Causes Of Pain On Top Of Foot:
- Dorsal compression syndrome occurs when there is too much stress on the ball of your foot.
- This compresses the top of the foot.
- It stretches out the bottom of the foot.
- So if the top of your foot is numb or irritated & the bottom in pain, this is it!
- This can also lead to lack of shock absorption in walking or running.
- It will eventually lead to mid-foot arthritis.
- The top of foot tingling is usually due to a nerve irritation.
- The medial dorsal cutaneous nerve is most frequently effected.
- This nerve cover the bump on top of your foot and runs along the top of your big toe.
- If a nerve is irritated and becomes numb, this is known as neuropraxia.
- Neuropraxia can take up to a month to get better, so treat it properly!
A bone spur on top of the foot forms due to abnormal friction and stress on the bone.
- As the bones of the midfoot rub against each other, the bone re-enforces itself.
- This is similar to a callus forming in a high pressure area.
- The same thing will happen to the bone on the top of your foot.
- A top of the foot bone spur is very common.
- It can lead to top of the foot numbness, burning and tingling.
- This occurs due to nerve compression.
- If you are a runner or started heavy walking.
- This does not happen instantly!
- It can take days or weeks to gradually start hurting and causing pain.
- Eventually this will get too excruciating to continue walking or running.
- This can take 10-21 days to show up on X-ray.
- A sprain in the top of the foot or the arch is called a Lisfranc sprain.
- In most cases it is usually only a sprain that lasts a couple days to a couple weeks.
- But in some cases it may be essential to seek imaging & further treatment.
- Ganglionic cysts are soft masses across the top of the foot which are not immediately dangerous!
- These are simply pockets of fluid that pouches out from the joints of your foot bones like a balloon.
- Treatment consists of draining and removing the pocket of fluid.
- But they should still be check out by a podiatrist because there is a chance that they may be something a little more dangerous.
7) Extensor Tendonitis:
- Just like a nerve can get irritated on top of the foot, so can tendons.
- Extensor tendons are the ones responsible for lifting your foot toward your shin.
- They can become irritated from being over worked.
- This is very common in long distance runners and running hills.
- The front of your leg and top of your foot will be sore.
Good Luck With Pain On Top Of Foot.