Bruised Ankle Bone
Bruised Ankle Bone: A bone bruise is a real thing, it is known as an ankle contusion. Find out what caused it & how to fix it!
What Is An Ankle Bone Bruise:
Yes bone bruises are possible. But they are slightly different than the common skin bruise we know!
- Bone bruises are bleeding within the bone.
- The bone has a hard outer layer, with a less dense inner layer.
- The outer layer is known as the cortical layer.
- The inner layer is known as the cancellous layer.
- There is also a thin layer of tissue on top of the bone known as periosteum.
A bone bruise is bleeding caused within the bone!
Causes Of Ankle Bone Bruises:
- An ankle bone bruise usually come from a direct or a twisting injury.
- These are forces not strong enough to break the bone.
- But they are strong enough to rupture vessels within the bone.
- This causes non-visible bleeding in the bone with severe pain!
- The most common cause is sports injuries & direct trauma.
- Sprained ankles also usually result in bone bruising.
Symptoms Of A Bruised Ankle Bone:
- Pain while pushing on the bone.
- Swelling of the surrounding tissue.
- The pain is more severe than a regular bruise in the skin.
- But skin bruising also usually occurs along with it.
How Long Does A Bruised Ankle Bone Last?
- A bruised ankle bone usually lasts longer than a regular bruise.
- There will usually be inflammation & pain for a couple days or weeks.
- The pain can last up to 1-2 months if the bone bruise was severe enough!
Diagnosis of a Bruised Ankle Bone:
- Usually an X-ray is not enough to confirm the bone bruise.
- X-rays are not sensitive enough to catch the damage within the blood vessels of the bone.
- An MRI is usually the best choice.
- In most cases an MRI is not needed as the bone bruise will resolve anyway & the MRI is very expensive.
Bruised Ankle Bone Treatment:
Treatment Usually consists of:
- Rest, Ice , Compression & Elevation.
- Watch this ankle treatment guide & treat your bone bruise exactly like an ankle injury!