Best Shoes & Best Insoles
Do I Have Wide Feet or Narrow Feet? [How do I know If I Have Wide Feet]
Have you asked, “Do I Have Wide Feet or Narrow Feet?” We review how to know if you have wide feet or narrow feet [Shoes & heels for wide feet]
Table of Contents
Do I Have Wide Feet or Narrow Feet?
Were you born with wide feet, or did they broaden with age? Or, do you have problems with narrow feet? Either way, you may have trouble finding the right shoe that fits you if you have wider than normal or narrower than normal feThisthis art, we will discuss both these issues, identify and measure, them and learn how to find the best fitting shoe.
Do I have wide feet?
Feet come in different sizes and shapes. There are many reasons for this. Wide feet are nothing to worry about. But sometimes they can be caused by a health condition. Treating such conditions and wearing well-fitting shoes can help minimize any problem you may experience with wide feet.
Why do I have Wide feet?
Let’s look at some of the common causes which give rise to wide feet.
- Our genetics – Some are born with wider feet because of their genetics. People with flat feet are prone to wider feet.
- Foot deformities – Your feet can become wider if you have deformities like hammertoes, bunions, or calluses.
- Age – with aging, the tendons and ligaments in your feet loosen, and your feet may grow wider and longer as you grow older.
- Swelling of feet / Edema – Swelling of feet due to many medical reasons can give you bigger feet.
- Pregnancy – pregnant females experience swollen feet sometimes. Also, the hormone relaxin that is secreted can loosen the joints and ligaments in their feet, especially during the 2nd and 3rd This will make their feet longer and wider.
- Wearing improper footwear – We must wear shoes that fit the length and width of our feet. Unfortunately, many of us don’t, according to research. Wearing improper shoes can give rise to many foot deformities.
Many of you with wide feet may feel uncomfortable. This discomfort is mainly due to wearing shoes that do not fit your feet properly. Wearing too narrow or tight footwear can cause blisters and deformities like bunions, hammertoes, cross-over toes, and calluses.
How do you know if you have wide feet?
Many shoe stores will have devices to measure the width and length of your feet.
Do I have a wide feet chart?
Shoe size charts can be found not only in shoe stores but also in online shoe sites. They can help you to determine whether you actually have wide feet and how wide they are.
Here’s how you can measure your feet at home.
- Wear a pair of socks
- Tape 2 sheets of white paper to the floor or an even surface.
- Now step onto the paper and trace your feet onto these papers
- Record the measurements – Measure the width and length with a ruler; also, the widest part of your foot can be measured on the traced paper. The width of your foot is the distance between the 2 widest points in your foot.
How to know if you have wide or narrow feet?
There are standard measurement foot charts that are available. After recording your measurements, you can compare the measurements of your feet with the standard measurements and decide for yourself whether your feet are wide or narrow.
You may sometimes notice that one foot may be slightly wider than the other. Therefore, measuring both feet are important.
How do I find shoes that properly fit my wide feet?
If you have wide feet finding a shoe that fits your feet well can make all the difference.
How to tell if you have wide feet?
If you think that your feet are wide, it may benefit by working with an expert who can help size you. The first step is to get your feet measured. Don’t rely mainly on past measurements, as the size of your feet may change with time. Your feet are at their largest towards the end of the day. So your feet must be measured in the evening.
Shoes for wide feet or heels for wide feet:
Your toes must not be cramped. Make sure you keep half an inch space between the longest toe and the end of the shoe. Before you buy a shoe, examine the depth and shape of the toe box in the shoe. If you have wider feet, a shoe with a deep and square toe box is ideal. Look for shoes which offer a wide option. These may change with each shoe brand.
If you go for a shoe with a removable insole, you can add an orthotic device to your shoe if the need arises.
Can I wear wide-fit shoes with normal feet?
Wide width shoes, although the overall length is the same, toe box and forefoot width is increased to accommodate wider feet. Wide-fit shoes often have deeper and wider sections for your toes and give you more room around the instep. So even if you have normal feet, you should be able to fit in. usually, many feet with all shapes and sizes get the space they need to remain comfortable in wide-fit shoes. However, normal feet may slip inside wide shoes, as more space may give you pain and blisters.
Therefore it is better to go for regular fit shoes if you have normal feet.
But still, the normal feet wearing wide fit shoe option is much better than wide feet wearing narrower shoe option, as it can lead to pain, blisters, and even deformities like clawing, hammertoes, and bunions to compression of the toes.
How to make wide shoes fit narrow feet?
If you have narrow feet, the best option is to go for shoes with narrow width. However, if you fall in love with a pair which is wide width, what should you do?
Here are a few tips to make your narrow feet fit into wide shoes.
- If the shoe has shoe strings, lace them tight. If there are 2 sets of eyelets on each side, lace through the ones that are furthest from the tongue. This will help to close both sides together tightly over the bridge of your foot.
- You can buy a pair of cushioned shoe inserts and use them as an insole. Ensure that your insole offers arch, heel, and shock support to match your foot shape and size. If you get a well-cushioned shoe insert, it will add support to your narrow feet, support the joints and reduce friction as they fit snugly inside your shoe.
- Narrow feet tend to slip inside wide shoes. But insoles will stabilize your feet and reduce slipping and sliding within the shoes. You can buy suitable insoles from your shoe store or online shoe sites. There are many different brands and types available. Get help if it is necessary to choose the best which fits your feet and the shoe.
Often you might feel that your narrow feet do not fit the sandals you love to wear, especially during summer. Finding the correct sandal to fit your narrow feet may be a difficult task. The best is to find a pair that is specifically designed for narrow feet. But if you find a pair, you really want to wear, but it is too wide for your feet, try these tips.
- Adjust the straps to make them smaller. Get help from a shoe repair specialist or a cobbler. If not, simply cut loose straps with scissors after measuring the excess length. Secure the ends with super glue. Dry it completely before wearing it.
- Leather sandals will become smaller if you make them wet completely and dry them. After wetting your shoes, you can use a dryer or heat from a blow dryer to make the process faster.
- You can purchase comfort inserts from the shoe store to add bulk to your feet.
However, always keep in mind that narrow-width shoes are designed to fit narrow feet. If you choose one that correctly fits, you may not have any pain or discomfort.
How to fit wide feet into narrow shoes?
Our advice is to buy the shoe that is right for your feet. However, unfortunately, you bought a pair of shoes you loved, but your feet are too wide to get into them. What should you do? Here are some tips for stretching out narrow shoes so that they may fit into wide feet.
- Wear a thick pair of socks and fasten your shoes. Apply heat from a hairdryer for 30 seconds at a time to tight areas.
- Wear them in the evening. Although it is uncomfortable at first, wear them around your house until it is stretched and softened.
- Fill a zip lock bag with water and keep it in the shoe. Arrange it especially near tight spots. Place your shoe along with the water bag in the freezer overnight. The water turns into ice and expands to give your shoe a custom stretch.
- Using shoe stretch liquids and sprays – a variety of sprays and liquids are available to stretch shoes made of fabric, leather, and vinyl. You can spray them to the tight areas in your narrow shoes and walk in them to stretch them further.
- By using a 4-way adjustable shoe tree, you can expand both the length and width of your shoe. This device is available at shoe repair shops.
- A shoe repair professional will stretch your shoes by using a machine to alter the size.
How do I know if I have narrow feet?
As discussed earlier, you can record the measurements of your feet and compare them with a standard measurement chart.
Here is a practical way to know that your feet belong to a narrow width group. If you find the correct shoe size that fits the length of your foot, but if there is a space left on the sides of your feet, you are likely to have narrow-width feet.
How to make wide feet narrow?
Your wide feet will look slimmer if you wear tight, narrow shoes. But is the trouble you go through, the pain and soreness you feel, and the blisters you get afterward really worth it? Wearing tight narrow shoes, to make your feet look smaller will only worsen the problem.
Howfeet, special insoles make your feet appear thinner while giving you adequate sup if you have a flat feet port.
Losing weight and reducing the swelling will also help make your feet look narrGet early medical attention and treatment if. Suppose medical conditions make your feet bigger, such as hormonal problems. Swelling may be due to physiological as well as health causes. Get yourself evaluated by your doctor if you think there is an underlying health problem like heart failure, liver or kidney issues that lead to swollen feet.
Another tip is to wear shoes in darker colors. Black shoes are the best to do this trick. They will make your feet appear narrower and smaller, rather than shoes of pastel shades and light colors. Go for darker earth tones, deep versions of red, green, purple, and blue in addition to black shoes to serve you better.
Cosmetic foot narrowing surgery or the ‘Cinderella procedure.’
This has become trendy in some females who want to fit into high-heeled pointy shoes. Foot narrowing surgery can lessen the width of your foot. Although cosmetic foot surgery has gained popularity in recent years, it comes with many risks. American College of Foot and ankle surgeons warn that they must be performed only if necessary. Bunion removal, along with foot repair, will also make your feet slimmer.
Visit a podiatrist if your wide feet worry you, if they give you pain or if there are associated deformities that may be debilitating. Your doctor can help to determine whether your wide feet are the reason for these problems.
If you are near Michigan, come see us for a no obligation consultation!
How to make small shoes fit bigger video [Shoes for Wide Feet & Heels for Wide Feet]
How to stretch shoes for wide feet & heels for wide feet:
🦶Do you have a shoe too small and want to make your shoe bigger?🦶
We will show you how to stretch a shoe at home and make a small shoe bigger!
Whether you have new sneakers, new shoes, or cowboy boots, we will show you how to expand your shoes, stretch your shoes, and make your small shoes bigger!