Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Green Under Fingernail or Toenail [Causes, Remedies & Best Treatment]
Green Under Fingernail or Toenail: The SECRET is that the toenail is already DEAD. 95% of the time if you trim it and apply cream, it gets better ASAP!
- Yellow & green toenail fungus can be improved with a few simple treatment changes.
- We are foot doctors & we see this problem get better almost every day.
- The goal is to solve this problem without medication or surgery if at all possible.
So, let’s GO!
This gallery shows different types of toenail fungus.
- The most common type is called subungual onychomycosis, this is when the toenail fungus gets underneath the toenail and lifts the nail.
- This can cause damage to the toenail bed, preventing future attachment of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get superficial white onychomycosis, this is the buildup of white superficial fungus on top of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get it throughout the entire nail, or the nail is completely destroyed and did.
- The good news is these are all very treatable!
So click on the photos for gallery mode & description!
Click on pictures for full size & descriptions:
Green Color Under Toenail?
- The only reason your toenails or fingernails should look like this is because you have bacteria or fungus under your toenail.
- This is due to a bacteria known as Pseudomonas, whereas with toenail fungus there can be many different strains.
- Pseudomonas can get underneath your finger or toe nails through small chips or cracks.
- This does not mean you are systemically compromised in anyway.
- This is not the most dangerous bacteria initially, but can look ugly and keep getting worse!
- Both Toenail Fungus and Pseudomonas can be treated with proper toenail grooming and care.
- That being said, see your podiatrist immediately if you truly do have a problem that is beyond cosmetic!
Can This Bright Green Toenail be Foot Fungus?
- Toenail fungus is usually yellow and greenish- brown rather than lime/bright green.
- Pseudomonas is more bright/lime green vs a more yellowish color, this is the key!
- The truth is that Pseudomonas is actually very rare compared to toenail fungus, and that most of the time this is toenail fungus and not pseudomonas..
- But the beauty is that the treatment options are relatively the same.
- Very rarely do podiatrists see lime green colors that are truly Pseudomonas.
Pseudomonas and Toenail Fungus Treatment Overview:
Do you want to fix your toenail as quickly as possible?
- Well, the key to solving the problem is the same for both!
- The #1 goal is to simply trim all the dead skin and toenail, then use a nail file to smooth it!
- The fungus and Pseudomonas bacteria cannot live in an area
At this point you can apply antibacterial and anti-fungal solutions listed here:
Causes Of Green Under Toenail:
- Pseudomonas are a bacteria.
- They love water, dirt and oxygen.
- So you will find them in ponds, moist shoes, swimming pools and most other places.
- In order to get the bacteria to enter you toenail or fingernail, you must have some openings.
- If your toenail is properly groomed and not detached, the bacteria will not have chance to get under the skin.
Green Discoloration From Toe Nail Polish:
- Frequent nail polish use makes you very susceptible for pseudomonas infection, but more likely toenail fungus.
- It makes your nails dry and brittle, this can allow cracks to form at the site.
- This is not a bacterial infection, but instead something called keratin granulations.
- Discoloration after removing toenail polish is one of the most common toenail fakeout options.
- Just make sure to trim up the loose dead tissue, then you will get better in a hurry!
- Click Here to treat your keratin granulations!
Risk Factors For Green Under The Toe Nail:
- **Nail polish & frequent nail polish administration**
- Recent manicure.
- Recent pedicure.
- Recent stubbing or injury of the toenail or fingernail.
- Working with your hands.
- Brittle fingernails.
- Diabetes or smoking makes you more susceptible.
Green Nail Vs Toenail Fungus:
What a green nail looks like:
- It is not yellow, thick or crumbling into flakes.
- It can range from dark green to lime green.
- A green nail should be an otherwise healthy nail.
- Toenail fungus is more of a dark yellow-green type color.
Green Under Nail Treatment Guide:
What Toenail Fungus Looks Like:
- It is yellow.
- It is thick and crumbling.
- There may be flakes underneath the nail.
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]