Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Toenail Fungus Tea Tree Oil Cure [Causes, Remedies & Home Treatment]
The Toenail Fungus Tea Tree Oil Cure is a TOP CHOICE by the natural remedy crowd, Find the 100% BEST remedies and home treatment options!
- Yellow & green toenail fungus can be improved with a few simple treatment changes.
- We are foot doctors & we see this problem get better almost every day.
- The goal is to solve this problem without medication or surgery if at all possible.
So, let’s GO!
Table of Contents
Toenail Fungus Picture Gallery:
This gallery shows different types of toenail fungus.
- The most common type is called subungual onychomycosis. This is when the toenail fungus gets underneath the toenail and lifts the nail.
- This can cause damage to the toenail bed, preventing future attachment of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get superficial white onychomycosis. This is the buildup of white superficial fungus on top of the toenail.
- If you just removed your toenail polish, this may not be fungus. It may be something called keratin granulations.
- This may not be fungus if you have white horizontal lines or white horizontal ridges on your toenails.
- It is also possible to get it throughout the entire nail, or the nail is destroyed and is dead.
- The good news is these are all very treatable!
So click on the photos for gallery mode & description!
Click on pictures for full size & descriptions:
Causes of Toenail Fungus:
- The true cause of toenail fungus is that thick dystrophic and flaky toenails come before the toenail fungus even arrives.
- This is because the toenails are rubbing coming loose, or the person in question has underlying health conditions.
- Toenail fungus only infects the patient when the conditions are right.
- So fungus is living on your toenail, but it’s not what caused the toenail to get thick and ugly in the first place.
- But it is what causes the toenail to turn yellow, brown or black.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
- The symptoms of toenail fungus are that the toenail is discolored.
- This can be many different colors such as yellow, brown, black, or even great.
- Most of the toenail fungus builds up underneath the nail.
- The toenail is usually loose and not attached to the underlying skin, especially the further away you get from the root.
Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia):
- Tea tree oil is a weakly yellow colored oil.
- It is gathered from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree native to Australia.
- It is popular as a natural compound utilized in humans as a topical antifungal and antibacterial home remedy.
- There are also claims that it works well against acne (although there is no clear scientific consensus).
Use it for Curing Toenail Fungus:
There is no doubt that tea tree oil is effective in curing fungus on the skin as demonstrated by numerous medical studies (Pubmed). The majority of the articles focus on treating athlete’s foot (Tinea Pedis) and other superficial skin fungus infections such as the scalp and ringworm.
- One study found 100% tea tree oil effective against nail fungus in killing toenail fungus.
- The study also compared it to a topical medical treatment (clomitrazole) in effectiveness.
- A followup study found that tea tree oil was less effective than medications at lower concentrations.
- This lower concentration still did kill some nail fungus, but less effectively.
Is Tea Tree Oil used to eliminate Toenail Fungus?:
- It is not really used in the medical community
- It is used more by naturopathic physicians
- It is the chief ingredient in many of the creams being sold online *These creams are not FDA approved so they do not have any proven medical components*
- Most “Natural Remedy” topicals are unregulated, so no one really checks the % of tea tree oil in them.
Recommended Criteria for using Tea Tree Oil:
Use Home Treatment or Over The Counter Medication if:
- Area of nail involvement is under 50% of the total nail surface.
- There is no ingrowing of the nails into the skin edges.
- The nail is not painful.
- The skin under and around the nail still looks normal and has not yet become thick.
- No White, yellow, orange, brown streaks in the nail exist.
- You are healthy.
- You do not have diabetes, smoke or have any other systemic problems.
Toenail Fungus Tea Tree Oil Cure Review:
- There is no doubt that Tea Tree Oil is anti-fungal, and it will get you some results.
- But how good are these results?
- If you meet the criteria above it probably will work.
- But if you have complete nail involvement on many nails, poor blood flow and are not very healthy- then it probably won’t work. It simply won’t penetrate the thick nail and get below it.
Tea Tree Oil Pros:
- Natural Remedy.
- Cheap and easily available.
- Simple to use.
- Effective if you are healthy and have a superficial infection.
- It will work great if you can trim and debride the toenails ahead of time.
Tea Tree Oil Cons:
- If you have thick nails it probably won’t work.
- If you have many nails, it probably won’t work.
- If you have tried other topical medications or home treatments and they didn’t work- this probably won’t work.
- The real determination is how well you care for your toenails and health ahead of time.
***Final Effectiveness Score: 3/5***
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also, many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products. Just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it as much as possible and file that nail down vertically and length-wise.
- If you can do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time, you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here or the toenail repair pens.
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also vital to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s feet can be beneficial to remove from the foot because if left unchecked, they can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: your foot fungus can spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- You have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you have continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy-duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead, dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or are worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There is some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are no acetone-based toenail polish removers, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies to your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are that they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil, preventing toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone-based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to perfect supportive shoes that fit properly, their toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best Antifungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture-wicking sucks.
- The more you can wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus, and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you have diabetes, focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]