Best Shoes & Best Insoles
Are Birkenstocks Good for Flat Feet [Podiatrist Recommendation]
Are Birkenstocks Good for Flat Feet? We compare the BEST podiatrist recommended sandals vs. the BEST Birkenstocks!
- Are Birkenstock shoes or Birkenstock sandals good for your feet?
- How do they compare to podiatrist recommended sandals?
- We show our best flat feet recommendations.
So Let’s GO!
Flat Foot Pain Causes:
Before we see if Birkenstocks are good for flat feet, we will look at the causes of flat feet.
- Having flat feet is also known as overpronation.
- Younger people start as having flexible flat feet.
- Older people eventually develop rigid and permanent flat feet.
- Rigid flat foot occurs when arthritis sets in.
- This makes the flat foot permanent.
Heel Pain Causes: Picture & Photo Gallery
- One of the top causes of heel pain is plantar fasciitis. This is damage to a ligament that holds your heel to your toes.
- Another root cause of heel pain has flat feet.
- There are also photos of heel spurs that can occur to the bottom of your heel (plantar fascia insertion) and the back of your heel (Achilles tendon insertion).
- Baxter’s nerve entrapment can also happen at the bottom of the heel.
- An underlying cause is an overpronated flatfoot or an over a supinated high arched foot.
- A plantar fibroma is a thick nodule that can occur within your plantar fascia ligament and contribute to plantar fasciitis.
- This can lead to the formation of a heel stress fracture( AKA calcaneus stress fracture.)
Please click on the gallery for a guided tour through heel pain conditions!
What are Birkenstocks Sandals:
- Birkenstocks are a german company that is very popular.
- Birkenstocks have a long history as they were founded in 1774 by Johann Adam Birkenstock.
- They have been developing arch support sandals for people who are on their feet long-term.
- They have almost 250 years of history and are thus very well known and famous.
Do Birkenstocks have a good reputation:
- Birkenstock sandals have an excellent reputation worldwide.
- They are likely the premier brand of arch-supportive sandals or orthopedic sandals.
- They have been around longer than almost every shoe company.
- They are known for having a footbed made of natural cork, latex, and suede.
- Specifically, these are renewable resources, and thus, Birkenstocks is considered more eco-friendly than some other companies.
- Podiatrists in general approve of Birkenstocks, Birkenstock shoes and Birkenstock sandals.
Pros and Cons of Birkenstocks:
We weigh the pros and cons of Birkenstock sandals:
- Birkenstock sandals are made of generally high-quality materials.
- The materials are long-lasting and of high quality.
- The materials are considered eco-friendly.
- They are considered long-lasting and of high quality.
- They do have a heel cup of approximately 8mm which does support the heel.
- They do provide adaptive arch support.
- The cork-latex material does conform to your feet.
- The footbed has open pores and is thus very breathable.
- They have a long track history of being reliable.
- The straps are known to have high-quality leather.
- As Birkenstocks support your feet, this can retrain your muscles and tendons to walk straighter.
- The downside of Birkenstocks is usually the price.
- With online shopping, the price, fortunately, has come down significantly.
- The overall design is still like a flip-flop. Thus it will never be as supportive as a good shoe.
- A good shoe and good custom orthotic will always be much more supportive for significant foot pain.
- Ankle sprains and foot injuries can occur with higher-level activity due to the slip-on design.
Conditions Birkenstocks are good for:
Birkenstock sandals can be considered to be good for the following conditions:
- Achilles tendonitis.
- Flat feet.
- Heel pain and plantar fasciitis.
- Bunion and hammer toe pain.
- Ball of the foot pain.
- Flat foot pain.
- Cavus foot type pain.
How long do Birkenstocks Sandals Last?
How long do Birkenstocks last?
- Generally, they are rated for about 150-300miles.
- This might mean different things for different people, but on average, they do last several years.
- In extreme cases, a very heavy person who does a lot of walking may last less than a year.
- The Birkenstocks might even last more than a decade in a more thin person who does less walking.
- The Birkenstocks are expensive, but they can last a very long time.
Why Do My Arches Hurt with Birkenstocks?
Initially, there is an adjustment period where the cork and latex of the footbed have to adapt.
- This adapting to your foot can take a few days or even a few weeks.
- Some people have such severe foot pain that they may never adjust to them
- People without extreme pain will adapt more quickly.
- People who are already in better condition will adapt more quickly.
The Best Orthotic Supportive Sandals and Slippers:
The below guide does include our Birkenstock sandals and Birkenstocks. See how they compare and make a decision for yourself!
Podiatrist Recommended Men’s Orthotic Sandals:
These are our favorite podiatrist recommended men’s orthotic sandals. Yes they do include Birkenstocks!
Podiatrist Recommended Women’s Orthotic Sandals:
These are our favorite podiatrist recommended women’s orthotic sandals. Yes they do include Birkenstocks!
The Best Podiatrist Approved Shoes:
Listed by condition:
- Complete Best List of Podiatrist Recommended Shoes.
- Best Shoes for Achilles Tendonitis.
- Best Men’s Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis.
- Best Women’s Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis.
- Best Shoes for Top of the Foot Pain.
- Best Shoes for Supination.
- Best Shoes for Ball of the Foot Pain.
- Best Shoes for a Plantar Fibroma.
- The Best Sandals for Arthritic feet.
- Podiatrist Recommended Orthotics.
- Ankle Support Running Shoes, Walking Shoes.
- Birkenstock sandals for flat feet.
- Best Dress Shoes for Flat Foot & Plantar fasciitis.
- Podiatrist Recommended Shoes for Toddlers.
- Best Shoes for Metatarsalgia.
- Best Running Shoes for Morton’s Neuroma.
Best Shoes & Best Insoles