Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe
Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe: This foot structure does lead to increased foot pain. The big toe joint has a more difficult time contact the ground.
Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe:
- This is known as the “Greek” Foot Type.
- A longer big toe is known as the “Egyptian” foot type.
- In most cases the toe length is not the problem, but the joint positioning.
- It the second toe joint is further ahead than the big toe joint, this may lead to chronic foot pain.
- This is a condition called Morton’s toe or Morton’s syndrome.
- This is when the big toe bears less pressure due to a slightly shorter length.
- This will eventually cause metatarsalgia foot pain.
Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe Symptoms:
- This will lead to a more flat foot.
- A flat foot occurs because the foot turns out more to be able to push off with the big toe.
- This leads to hyper mobility of the 1st metatarsal.
- This can lead to bunion formation.
- This is also also leads to knee, hip and back pain.
- Your knee and hip will bend slightly more.
- This can lead to eventual back pain.
Second Toe Bigger Than Big Toe Causes:
- This is most likely genetic.
- It can also due to a condition called brachymetatarsia.
- This simply means a shorter developed toe.
Middle Toe Bigger Than Big Toe Imaging:
- The 1st metatarsal should be between 2mm longer or 2mm shorter than the 2nd metatarsal.
- If it is longer, this can lead to lack of big toe joint motion.
- This will lead to hallux rigidus.
- If it is shorter than 2mm, this is morton’s toe.
- This will lead to eventual metatarsalgia pain.
Big Toe Shorter Than Second Toe Treatment:
- Conservative treatment is very effective for a second toe longer than the big toe.
- The goal is to control the hyypermobile 1st metatarsal.
- This is done through over the counter orthotics with a lift for the 1st metatarsal.
- This helps the 1st metatarsal contact the ground easier, preventing outward rotation of the foot.
- This lift is up to 1/4″ of an inch.
- Studies show this alone is extremely effective in relieving the pain within a few weeks.
Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe Surgery:
- This is usually not needed unless conservative treatment has failed.
- This is a quick procedure that shortens the 2nd metatarsal.
- 1 screw is then used to fixate the bone.
- If there is a hammer toe present, hammer toe correction is achieved as well.
- This surgery is usually done if there are other foot problems as well.
- These include hammer, claw or mallet toes.
Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe Meaning and Myths:
Some Second Toe Longer Than Big Toe Meaning and Myths include:
- AKA Royal Toe.
- AKA Lamay’s Toe.
- It is genetic, called the “Greek foot type”.
- The genetic long 1st toe is called the “Egyptian” foot type.
- Some say it signifies increased intelligence.