Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
How is Toenail Fungus Spread? [Causes & Best Treatment!]
How is Toenail Fungus Spread? The #1 cause is communal areas where family members or the public walk barefoot. STOP CATCHING IT!
This gallery shows different types of toenail fungus.
- The most common type is called subungual onychomycosis, this is when the toenail fungus gets underneath the toenail and lifts the nail.
- This can cause damage to the toenail bed, preventing future attachment of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get superficial white onychomycosis, this is the buildup of white superficial fungus on top of the toenail.
- It is also possible to get it throughout the entire nail, or the nail is completely destroyed and did.
- The good news is these are all very treatable!
So click on the photos for gallery mode & description!
Click on pictures for full size & descriptions:
How is Toenail Fungus Spread Overview:
- The number one way toenail fungus is spread is in communal areas like showers, bathrooms and pool decks.
- At the same time it is unlikely to catch toenail fungus unless you have certain precursory conditions.
- The most common causes of these precursory conditions are long cracked toenails, small cracks and dry skin.
- This is also susceptible if you have ingrown toenails or swollen toes.
- People are also more susceptible to catching toenail fungus with increased health conditions, and poor health.
- The older you are, the more likely you are to catch foot fungus.
- If you have foot fungus, can very easily spread to your toenails.
Risk factors for catching the fungus:
There are certain risk factors that make you much more likely to catch toenail fungus:
- People who are over age 65 are very likely to catch toenail fungus.
- People have health conditions such as diabetes, obesity or autoimmune conditions are very likely to catch toenail fungus.
- The older you are, the more likely you are to catch toenail fungus.
- Being a smoker can decrease the blood flow to your feet, this makes it much more likely to catch toenail fungus infections.
- The thicker and drier your toenails and skin are, the more the cure to catch toenail fungus.
- The more poor your hygiene is, the more likely you are to catch toenail fungus.
- It is also possible catch toenail fungus at nail salons and during a pedicure, if the tools are not sanitized correctly.
- The number one cause is public areas where people walk around barefoot.
- Another common cause is a nail salon or after a pedicure if the tools are not sanitized properly.
- And lastly, you can catch toenail fungus unless you are susceptible from a health standpoint.
- Certain very healthy and well groomed people, are very unlikely to catch toenail fungus.
- It is also common in wet moist conditions such as standing in dirty socks all day.
- It is also common in old moist or sweaty shoes.
How to prevent toenail fungus from spreading to family:
- The best ways to prevent toenail fungus from spreading to family members is to make sure you don’t have it yourself.
- If you’re walking around barefoot in public areas, make sure you’re wearing sandals.
- If you have old running shoes or sneakers, make sure you use an anti-fungal spray to clean them.
- Stick to moisture wicking socks, and change them regularly.
- Standing in wet shoes or what socks all day and create a breeding ground for toenail fungus.
How does toenail fungus spread:
How does toenail fungus spread? The most common way it spreads is from susceptible person to susceptible person.
- Focus on reversing the causes we outlined above, and you’re very unlikely to catch toenail fungus.
- It is also very important to treat foot fungus, if you can treat foot fungus and make sure you have foot fungus, you’re very unlikely to get toenail fungus.
- Use moisture wicking socks, and use clean breathable shoes.
Fix your foot fungus:
- it is also very important to fix your foot fungus, it is a very short distance for fungus to travel across your skin and attached your toenails.
- Thus it does make sense to treat your toenail fungus, while leaving your foot fungus unattended.
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]