Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Curved Toenail Treatment [Causes, Symptoms & Best Treatment!]
The curved toenail treatment is usually for a thick and curved toenail can jam into the corner of your skin and cause some serious pain!
- We will show you an animated diagnosis & treatment guide, photos and the best FAST treatment options for your ingrown toenail
- These are Simple & EASY options that we have seen success with.
- Also included is our Toenail Fungus Treatment Video Guide!
So, Let’s Get STARTED!
- An ingrown toenail is also known as onychocryptosis.
- An ingrown toenail can include toenail fungus which is called onychomycosis.
- If the toenail is very thick and rough, this is called onychogryphosis.
- This gallery also shows MRI images that can lead to bone infection in very severe cases of ingrown toenails.
- Don’t wait too long, go see your podiatrist!
So, feel free to click on the gallery for descriptions & please share!
Ingrown Toenail Overview:
- A curved or ingrown toenail is a very common problem which occurs when the corner of your toenail grows into the soft border of your toe.
- If the pain is not that bad, you can just cut the corner out yourself and after a day or two the swelling will decrease and you will feel much better.
- If you can’t seem to get to the corner because it is too painful, follow this guide on getting that corner out of there!
- If you have diabetes, problems with bleeding, poor circulation or any other medical problem- go see your podiatrist immediately!
Thick Curved Toenail Symptoms:
You are probably fine if none of these symptoms are taking place:
- No Nausea, fever or chills.
- No pus is present.
- Toe doesn’t smell unusual.
- Toe is not really hot.
If this is you , get your but to the emergency room or your doctor to get some antibiotics. There is poor blood flow to the ends of the toes and this can take a long time to heal or worse!
- Redness that is spreading.
- Swollen nail bed & toe is very warm.
- Increased nausea, fever or chills.
Causes of Curved Toenails Inward:
The cause is not the most important part, usually they are just curved in genetically. This may also be because of your biomechanics or an increase in weight over the years. If you think there may be something going on with your walking biomechanics, go see a podiatrist for an evaluation.
- Wearing tight shoes that crowd your toenails.
- Cutting the nails too short.
- Injury to your toenails.
- Jamming your toenail.
- Most Common: Genetically curved or hardened toenail.
Toenail Fungus Causes Ingrown Toenails:
- Toenail fungus results in a thicker, more brittle ingrown toenail. Keep toenail fungus in mind while treating your ingrown toenail.
- Jump to the Complete Toenail Fungus Treatment Guide!
Consider Toenail Fungus:
It is estimated that over 80% of all toenail fungus problems are related to toenail fungus. It is also the leading cause of ingrown toenails.
Toenail Fungus Symptoms:
- Brittle toenails.
- Pieces breaking off or coming away underneath the nails.
- The skin around it becomes thick dry and crusty.
- Scaly skin forms underneath the toenails.
Home Treatment of Thick Curved Toenails:
First make sure to check if the skin is broken or irritated around the curved toenail edge. Make sure to have an antibiotic ointment around, we want to keep this from developing any type of infection!
Tip #1: Epsom Soaks and Splint the Nail.
- Soak the foot in warm water once or twice for 15-30mins. You can added Epsom salts for added benefit. Just add a couple table spoons to your warm water foot bath.
- Epsom salts can help may the nails and skin much more soft. They are very cheap an available at most stores, the help moisten and swell the tissues around the nail.There is limited scientific research on the added benefits of Epsom salts. But there is a huge amount of testimonial data (as with most natural cures).
Tip #2: Splint The Nail After Soaking.
- Continue these baths until they have made the nail and the skin softer allowing better evaluation or cutting of the corner. Once there is less pain you can move onto the next step.
- After the nail is more flexible, try to lift the nail and put some gauze or a band-aid underneath the sharp and painful corner. Doing this will allow the nail to grow out over the edge of the nail bed.
- You can also try using a nail clipper to just snip the edge of the nail at this point as well.
Tip #3: Cut the Curved Toenail Across.
- The general recommendation is to cut the nail across. rather than curving it back.
- I say at this point: just cut out what is bothering you, because that is the most important thing.
- Usually you should try and cut across though.
Tip #4: Make Sure You Apply Antibiotic Ointment.
- Most Important: Make sure to apply antibiotic ointment over the red area. Any ointment is good (Neosporin, Triple antibiotic ointment, bacitracin etc).
Tip #5: Wear Open Shoes.
- Wear open shoes like sandals until it gets better.
- Or try to wear shoes with a nice amount of room in the front.
- You can lso keep the cotton ball jammed under the corner of the nail for added relief.
- Don’t wear things like any high heeled shoes or dress shoes, your nail might push against the edges after a couple hours and cause some serious pain.
Tip #6: Take Anti-inflammatory medication.
- If there is severe pain, it never hurts to take some pain relievers.
- PS- Always check with your doctor 1st!
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol and others)
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin and others)
Tip #7: Prevention!
- Trim your toenails straight across.
- Prevent cutting them far too short.
- Wear shoes with enough room in the front.
- Wear protecting shoes if you work a job that puts your toes at risk.
Tip #8: Get the Nail Edge Permanently Removed.
- If it comes back for many months, a 15 minute podiatrist appointment will get rid of that edge for good!
- Take a look at our nail edge removal guide.
When to go see a podiatrist:
- Come see us the ingrown toenail keeps coming back and causing you pain.
- You should not have an ingrown toenail for more than a couple months.
- Early treatment includes splints, cotton wicks, plastic strips, plastic tubes down the side of the nail, plastic type glue under the corner is possible.
- The 1st step is to resect the nail after some numbing medication is used, then correct the underlying problem, whether it be nail dystrophy or nail fungus.
- The 2nd step is to see if it comes back in 1-2 months. An X-ray should be taken to rule out a bone spur under the nail. A nail avulsion may be attempted- this is a permanent resection of that border of the nail ensuring it will never grow back.
- Tetanus prophylaxis may be needed. 1st the podiatrist will numb around the base of the toe, then cut back on the nail and use sodium hydroxide or phenol in the nail bed to keep the nail from growing back .
- If an infection is present- Antibiotics will be necessary, then the toe is covered by ointment and gauze- you will be back on your feet in no time!
- More extensive surgery can be used in very severe cases to remove the entire nail. The nail matrix is then treated with Phenol to prevent re-growth.
- This nail resection procedure usually keeps the border away for good!
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Table could not be displayed.
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Table could not be displayed.
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]