Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]
Permanent Ingrown Toenail Removal Surgery [Causes & Best Treatment]
Permanent ingrown toenail removal surgery is an in office procedure.It is #1) Mostly permanent cure for ingrown toenails, #2) Needs a short recovery time!
- Ingrown toenail pain in the big toe or the small toes can be improved with a few simple treatment changes.
- We are foot doctors & we see this problem get better almost every day.
- The goal is to solve this problem without medication or surgery if at all possible.
So, let’s GO!
- An ingrown toenail is also known as onychocryptosis.
- An ingrown toenail can include toenail fungus which is called onychomycosis.
- If the toenail is very thick and rough, this is called onychogryphosis.
- This gallery also shows MRI images that can lead to bone infection in very severe cases of ingrown toenails.
- Don’t wait too long, go see your podiatrist!
So, feel free to click on the gallery for descriptions & please share!
Permanent Ingrown Toenail Removal Surgery [Causes & Best Treatment] Overview:
- Removing the outside edge of the nail plate in a procedure known as a partial toenail avulsion is is the best permanent ingrown toenail removal surgery.
- The nail matrix is then permanently inhibited from ever growing that nail edge back.
- When performed correctly this procedure is shown to be the greatest possible option for keeping your ingrown toenail away.
Safer Non-Surgery Options:
1) Complete or partial toenail avulsion:
- -This refers to the removal of the nail in the podiatrist’s office.
- The big toe is first numbed up with anesthetic so that you won’t feel a thing.
- The edge of the nail is then cut out, or if something is really wrong with the nail.
- The whole nail may be removed and allowed to then grow back.
- In some cases it does grow back and a nail avulsion with inhibition of the nail matrix must be attempted.
- In most cases this is unnecessary as the nail will grow back normally.
2) Partial toenail avulsion with nail matrix inhibition.
- If the nail regrows in the painful position, the avulsion should be attempted with chemicals or electricity to stop the nail from re-growing.
- Most offices will use phenol which works very well, but some people advocate that newer techniques such as using electricity or a laser to stop the nail from re-growing are the best options.
- Research is limited on this opinion, but the claims are decreased inflammation and more regular healing when using electricity.
3) Complete excision of the nail in the operating room.
- Although this method is the most guaranteed to work.
- It is usually only used if you are going into the OR for a second larger procedure like a bunion or hammertoe surgery.
- The cost to benefit ratio doesn’t really make sense otherwise.
Ingrown Toenail Removal Surgery:
Sterile gloves, Iodine solution, Syringe with lidocaine, gauze, spatula, 2 straight hemostats, sterile rubber band, Nail splitter (English Anvil), electrocautery unit.
- 1) Patient’s toe is prepped with povidone-iodine solution. Digital block is performed with lidocaine(2-3ml of lidocaine on each side of the toe).
- 2) The toe should be given 10 minutes to become numb.
- 3) The rubber band should be tied at the base of the toe to reduce bleeding during the procedure. Clamp it tight with a hemostat
- 4) A drape should be placed to obstruct the patient’s view to prevent fainting.
- 5) The outside edge of the nail should be loosened underneath with a spatula, and then the nail splitter should cut the edge all the way back to the base of the nail. The hemostat should then turn the nail in and remove it from the base. Make sure that no nail spicules remain in that area.
- 6) The electrocautery unit or phenol should then be applied to the nail matrix for 10-30 seconds. Make sure there is no blood in the area. If there excess granulated tissue to the area, this can then be treated as well at this point electrically or cut out.
- 7) Apply antibiotic ointment and put on a dressing.
- 8) Prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication.
Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) Treatment & Cure Infographic:
Toenail Fungus Home Treatment:
- These are our favorite products to treat toenail fungus at home.
- It is difficult to properly diagnose any health problem such as toenail fungus with 100% certainty. So go see your podiatrist and make sure you are not missing anything!
- Also many of these products are considered beauty products more so than health products, just be aware that they are not always FDA evaluated or approved in any way.
How to fix toenail fungus:
- There are many different types of toenail damage.
- In our experience, about easily 50% or more is related to toenail fungus.
- The key to toenail fungus is to trim it is much as possible, and file that nail down vertically and length wise.
- If you are able to do that, you have to make sure you can kill fungus the rest of the way with creams and topical medication.
- The best way to do that is to soak exfoliate the affected toenail skin. So, foot soaks can be a strong anti-fungus solution.
- At the same time you have to apply anti-fungal medication such as these medications evaluated here, or the toenail repair pens
Recommended foot fungus products:
- It is also very important to fix your foot fungus.
- Athlete’s foot can be beneficial to remove from the foot, because if left unchecked it can quickly spread back to the toenails even if they are fixed.
- Even if you cure your toenail fungus, keep your toenails trimmed in healthy: it is possible for your foot fungus to spread back into toenails.
- So make sure you treat your foot fungus, as well as your toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Clippers & Files:
- This is something you have to be careful using at home, and definitely be safe and don’t use these if you have dangerous health conditions.
- It is important to see a podiatrist for foot evaluation and care if you are having continued health care issues or problems with your feet.
- These are some great value heavy duty clippers and sets.
- The key is to cut straight across, and file the nail down from the top to keep it from impinging in the corners.
- It is also important to make sure all dead dry skin is removed surrounding the foot.
- This is where you should really see your podiatrist if you have any concerns or worried about cutting or hurting yourself.
- This is something covered, so don’t take chances with your health!
Best Toenail Fungus Polish and Remover:
- There are some great toenail fungus polish options and polish removal options.
- There are none acetone based toenail polish remover’s, they don’t dry as quickly, but they are less like a dehydrator toenail.
- This also applies for your fingernails and hands.
- The benefits of using these non-toxic toenail polishes are: they are filled with non-fungal options such as tea tree oil which prevent the spread of toenail fungus.
- These can also work well for the fingernails.
- So great combo is to use one of these healthier toenail paint options, as well as a non-acetone based toenail polish remover.
Best Shoes For Toenail Injuries:
- The key to prevent toenail ripping and lifting is to have a good supportive shoes.
- If you have a good supportive shoe, that keeps pressure off your toes in your toenails, there will be no lifting and cracking to allow bacteria and fungus to get in.
- This almost seems counter-intuitive, but when people make a switch to really good supportive shoes that fit properly, there toenail problems almost always get better over the next few months or a year.
- Your current nail is already likely destroyed, especially with joggers toe, but let the new nail growing healthy without new damage.
- Click the following link for our most recommended shoes. Try to focus on shoes with mesh and room around the big toe and also the smaller toes.
Best AntiFungal Moisture Wicking Socks:
- These are some great options for moisture wicking sucks.
- The more you are able to wick moisture from your foot, the less chance there is that toenail fungus and athlete’s foot can survive.
- We tried to focus on budget value stocks that are not too expensive.
- Sure there are better stocks out there, but these are great socks for a great price for most people.
- If you are a diabetic focus on getting yourself some diabetic socks.
Best woman’s antifungal socks:
Best men’s antifungal socks:
Toenail Pain [Toenail Fungus, Ingrown Toenails, Discolored Toenails]