Mole Under the Toenail or Fingernail
A Mole Under the Toenail or Fingernaill can be dangerous if you have it, but it usually is not really a mole. Make sure that you don’t have one of 4 different causes:
1)Runner’s toe– Runner’s toe occurs if the toenail is rubbing against the front of the shoe; even if it is not really painful, blood could accumulate in the form of leakage or blistering under the nail. This page is dedicated to treating runner’s toe.
2)Pseudomonas bacterial infection– If your nails have green or black little spots on them. This can occur if you are around moisture. **Smell your toes to see if they give off a Sweet grape-like odor- Seriously!**. The treatment for this is to go see your podiatrist for medication.
4)Melanoma– If you have an unusual streak of black pigment that is pain free and just appeared over a without any incident- it is essential that you read our guide to black streaks in your nail.
How to tell if you are safe from A Mole Under the Toenail or Fingernail:
Probably safe (but should still visit the podiatrist) if:
- The streak is less than 3 millimeters in width.
- The streak is uniform in length and of continuous color as it progresses down the nail.
- The streak or pigment is only present in the nail and not in the skin.
- The nail is not deformed, bloody or cracked in that area.
- The nail looks normal compared to the other nails.
Visit a podiatrist for a biopsy immediately if:
- The black streak is over 3 millimeters in width.
- The streak is widest at the start of the nail origin.
- The streak is not uniform or appears disrupted.
- The streak changes color the further you get.
- The streak continues from under the nail into the skin, termed “Hutchinson’s sign”.
- The nail becomes deformed, bloody or starts to crack in the area of the streak.
- The nail looks very unusual compared to the other nails.
- The streak is more common in the thumb and the big toe.
- The streak may even be white; in this case be aware of a nodule or irregularity that is forming under the nail plate.
- If you have ever considered that there may be a wart underneath your nail that is just not healing.
For More Resources: